If you’re someone who’s knowledgeable, kind, passionate and enthusiastic, you might just be the person we’re looking for to join our team as Head Gardener of Horatio’s Garden Midlands, Oswestry.
Horatio’s Garden, a national charity, creating and nurturing beautifully designed gardens in NHS spinal injury centres are seeking an enthusiastic, experienced head gardener for a high-profile role at Horatio’s Garden Midlands at The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital in Oswestry, designed by celebrated garden designer Bunny Guinness. This project has had widespread publicity for trail blazing the benefits of gardens and health.
As head gardener you will be responsible for leading the project and caring for the garden and the patients who use it. You will collaborate with the rehabilitation centre’s staff, to create a vibrant sanctuary which meets the needs of the charity’s beneficiaries.
You will join a lively, friendly knowledgeable team of five other dedicated head gardeners across the charity’s other gardens. The role is supported by a part-time Garden Administrator, along with a team of fantastic volunteers who help to nurture the beautiful space for patients, NHS staff and their visitors.
You will be responsible for delivering a therapeutic gardening programme as well as arts activities for patients in the garden, supported by the charity’s Arts Co-ordinator. With the garden administrator you will also arrange social events for patients and their families in co-ordination with the rehabilitation centre’s team.
The role is a fantastic opportunity for a confident gardener with an interest in gardens and wellbeing and a passion for people as well as plants. We welcome informal enquiries.
The role is flexible for 4-5 days per week. Salary depending on experience approx. £30,000- £31,000 FTE.
Experience, Qualifications & Skills
• Practical experience as a gardener, including experience of garden management.
• Minimum of RHS Level 2 Diploma in Principles and Practices of Horticulture or equivalent.
• Management of and working with, volunteers.
• Empathic, kind and a great communicator.
• Experience of leading and managing teams.
• Confident public speaker.
• Able to manage budgets and petty cash.
• Post Graduate Diploma in Social and Therapeutic Horticulture.
• Experience of therapeutic activities.
• Good IT skills, specifically proficient with Microsoft Office 365: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
• Digital photography.
• Working in the voluntary sector.
• NHS experience or work in a health care setting.
• Supplier management and ordering.
• Able to meet the physical demands of the job.
• Willingness to show commitment and flexibility in working practice.
• Self-motivated and capable of working with the minimum of direction but understanding the limits of your knowledge and able to seek advice when required.
Please write a one page covering letter explaining why you would be suited to this role and a one-page CV to email@example.com
Job Type: Permanent
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all sectors of society.
NOTE: DBS, medical and reference checks will be conducted as part of the recruitment process.
Application closing date: Tuesday 30 November 2021